In reviewing this month’s Sales CPR as it relates to Confidence, I would like to point out that simplicity is key. Sometimes as sales professionals and executives we can “overthink” the problem. What gives a salesperson confidence? What gives us confidence in any profession? Training and experience, right? It really is that simple.
Here is the myth: “Experience = Old School” – The idea that it takes a LONG time to gain that experience is false.
The following is a great example of how to gain experience fast!
8 STEPS TO GAIN THE EXPERIENCE YOU NEED TO GAIN OR RE-GAIN CONFIDENCE IN SALES
AKA: 8 STEPS TO SUCCESSFULLY “ON-BOARD” AND CREATE PRODUCTIVE SALESPEOPLE
1. Understand and Roleplay/Drill your sales process at least 10 times before you start selling. This, of course, means that your company has established and follows a standard workable sales process. Otherwise, contact Sales CPR at SELLability.com and get help to establish yours!
2. Now apprentice with a veteran salesperson in your company and assist or support that person on at least 10 prospects. Observe and pay close attention to each step of the sales process.
3. Now start with your own prospects. Take the first prospect and run them through the sales process, paying close attention to each step of the process and how it goes. The confidence comes from understanding what worked and what did not during each step of your sales process. Capture these details at each step, ideally review these details with your manager.
4. Complete about 10 sales processes with 10 prospects, whether you close them or not.
5. Then review what you have learned, specifically what worked and what needs correction. This is ideally done with your manager.
6. Strengthen and practice what is working well at each step of the process.
7. Correct and roleplay/drill the weak points at each step of your sales process.
8. Keep going with the next 10 prospects.
Now, if you did those steps for your next 10, 20 and 30 prospects, how would it change your life? Experience shows that you likely will gain the confidence necessary to start to effectively close and continue to improve your closing rate from there!